1.02.2017

2016: The Year in Reading

Five Two. Fifty-two. LII. For each week of the year, I read a book. This has been a goal of mine for the past few years and I finally achieved it.

Of course, this is an arbitrary number. Does it mean I read more than in previous years? What about the average length of books? Consider Saramago and the works of poetry I read. Do I need to count pages? Number of words? But this isn't about nit-picking. It's about setting a goal and reaching it.

I like this reading goal in that it forces me to read wildly and without precision. I can read a wider range of works when I force myself to read 52 books. Having this goal in mind means I read more short poetry works and more works of flash fiction and short story collections. I read more non-fiction this year than I've ever read before. I found that sometimes books had to resonate with how I was feeling at the time. Like Lewis's It Can't Happen Here after Trump won the election or finally reading in the Spring Tender Is the Night, which I had purchased at a book fair over five years ago. Some books I couldn't wait to start as soon as I bought them like Known and Strange Things or Speedboat (although I couldn't get into it at first, it really grew on me).

The White Album, complete with front cover falling off, I found at the Logan Square Arts Fest, the same warm day I listened to Ryley Walker and Bill MacKay and found a reissue of the Beastie Boys first EP on on vinyl. Open Books, where I volunteer, provided many serendipitous findings as well, including Road-Side Dog and Written on the Body. Some books I special ordered, like the poetry collection by Danez Smith after I read a poem of his on Buzzfeed of all places.

I read thirteen books in translation, books originally written in Arabic and Portuguese, Czech and Japanese. I read American English, English English, and Chicago English (Dybek, Fitzpatrick). I got immersed in the world of Borges. I revisited old standbys like Camus and Kundera and continued my foray into Calvino. I tried as hard as I could to keep the ratio of male and female authors even but I still read almost twice as many books by men. I read books by 33 authors I'd never read before, and eight books that were released in 2016. The oldest book I read was from 1925, Ernest Hemingway's first collection of short stories.

I was devastated and rebuilt by the works put out by Haymarket, certainly the publisher I read the most, the works by veterans Angela Davis and William Ayers certainly the most poignant and prescient. I read politically conscious prose and satirical yarns, linguistic guidebooks and beat poetry. I probably discovered new words and I know I read the word 'Fuck' a lot. I read books that are entirely forgettable, and ones I never expected to be so good. I found a copy of Studs Terkel's Chicago that was signed and didn't buy it and that's my biggest regret in reading this year.

I did shots of malort and whiskey with Jason Diamond at the Whistler at his book release. I discussed Solnit and Bechdal at the Empty Bottle Book Club. I stumbled into Uncharted with Gene, day-drunk and bought books I still haven't read. I've been loaned and gifted books I still haven't read. I started many books I didn't finish (not included in this list). I helped organize Asymptote Journal's Fifth Year Anniversary event at the Chopin Theatre, then I got drunk with my friend Matt and we talked about all the billions of projects we want to do and don't have time for. I read way too many tweets. I met Rebecca Solnit in New York City. I convinced two people to buy Ruth Ozeki's A Tale for the Time Being (once at the Chicago Book Expo, once at City Lit). I went to DIY performative comics readings in Humboldt Park and Bridgeport. I went to Volumes and the Hideout and Quenchers and the Book Cellar and Township to see people tell stories.

I submitted my own fiction to over fifty places. That's not enough. I'm glad I was accepted in three. First in the Chicago Literati, and two forthcoming which I don't want to announce just yet. My writing goal for next year is to get 100 rejections, as per this blog post. Which means I need to write more. Which doesn't necessarily mean reading less. I'm going to shoot for 52 books again. But I make no predictions on what I will read. Basedoff my predictions last year, I failed incredibly: I still have Adichie, Danticat, Sontag, Algren, and many more patiently sitting on my shelf. To that, I've added plenty more, and I haven't even looked at what's going to be released in 2017. 

Here's to more writing. Here's to more reading. Here's to 52 in 2017. 

01. Milan Kundera - The Joke (1967, trans. 1982) (novella)
02. Albert Camus - The Plague (1948, trans. 1941 Reread) (novel)
03. Ernest Hemingway - In Our Time (1925) (short stories)
04. Alan Lightman - Einstein's Dream (1992 Reread) (short stories)
05. Patti Smith - M Train (2015) (memoir)
06. Alison Bechdel - Are You my Mother? (2012) (memoir)
07. Cheryl Strayed - Wild (2012) (memoir)
08. Alaa Al Aswany - Chicago (2007, trans. 2007) (novel)
09. Natalie Moore - The South Side (2016) (nonfiction)
10. Jose Eduardo Agualusa - The Book of Cameleons (2008) (novella)
11. Rebecca Solnit - Men Explain Things To Me (2014) (nonfiction)
12. F Scott Fitzgerald - Tender is the Night (1934) (novel)
13. Jorge Luis Borges - Collected Fiction (1999) (short stories)
14. Italo Calvino - Invisible Cities (1972) (novella)
15. Halle Butler - Jillian (2015) (novel)
16. Tim Kinsella - Let Go and Go On and On (2014) (novel)
17. Douglas Adams - The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (1980) (novel)
18. Albert Camus - The Possessed (1959) (play)
19. Nikolai Gogol - The Overcoat and Other Tales of Good and Evil (1965) (short stories)
20. Enrique Vila-Matas - Because She Never Asked (2015) (novella)
21. Jeannette Winterson - Written on the Body (1992) (novel)
22. Jean Rhys - Voyage Into The Dark (1934) (novel)
23. Ruth Ozeki - My Year of Meats (1998) (novel)
24. Tony Fitzpatrick - The Secret Birds (2016) (essays/art)
25. Margaret Malone - People Like You (2015) (short stories)
26. George Saunders - Tenth of December (2013) (short stories)
27. n+1 - City by City (2015) (nonfiction)
28. Italo Calvino - The Baron in the Trees (1957, trans.1959) (novel)
29. Dave Zirin - Brazil's Dance with the Devil (nonfiction)
30. Heather Bell - A Horse Made of Fire (2015) (poetry)
31. Danez Smith - [insert] boy (2014) (poetry)
32. Amber Tamblyn - Free Stallion (2005) (poetry)
33. Larwrence Ferlinghetti - Pictures of the gone world (1955) (poetry)
34. Joan Didion - The White Album (1979) (nonfiction)
35. Keegan Jennings Goodman - The Tennessee Highway Death Chant (2016) (novel)
36. Michael Hemmingson - Pictures of Houses with Water Damage (2010) (short stories)
37. Czeslaw Milosz - Road-side Dog (1997, trans. 1999) (essays/poetry)
38. Angela Y Davis - Freedom is a Constant Struggle (2016) (interviews/essay/speeches)
39. Teju Cole - Known and Strange Things (2016)(essays)
40. Julian Barnes - A Hisory of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters (fiction)
41. Yiyun Li - Gold Boy, Emerald Girl (short stories)
42. William Ayers - Demand the Impossible! (2016) (manifesto/non fiction)
43. Renata Adler - Speedboat (fiction) (1976)
44. Edward McClelland - How to Speak Midwestern (2016)(non fiction)
45. Yoko Ogawa - Revenge (short stories) (1998, trans. 2013)
46. Sinclair Lewis - It Can't Happen Here (fiction)(1935)
47. Jason Diamond - Searching for John Hughes (memoir) (2016)
48. Erika T Wurth - Crazy Horse's Girlfriend (fiction) (2014)
49. Stuart Dybek - The Coast of Chicago (short stories) (1986)
50. Alain de Botton - The Consolations of Philosophy (philosophy) (2001)
51. Edward Albee - Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf? (play) (1962)(reread)
52. Jose Saramago - The Tale of the Unknown Island (1998, trans. 1999)

No comments:

Post a Comment