4.19.2013

Boston Part II

I went to bed at around 3:30 AM last night. Between 11 PM and that time, I was following the developments of a shooting at MIT, a carjacking, and a shootout with police in the Watertown neighborhood of Boston, in which allegations of grenades and other explosives going off conquered news media streams.

With tabs on my Internet open to my full Twitter feed, multiple on-site journalists, professors, and students, local Boston news station WCVB streaming in the background, chatting with a friend on Facebook about our different perspectives as the events unfolded...this is the new listening to the radio with friends and family as we learn about Pearl Harbor, or watching the news during Operation Desert Storm. It goes back to what I posted two days ago, the oversaturation of media. But perhaps because as the night when on, that the marathon bombing, MIT shooting, and carjacking all seemed to be related, that I was able to communicate with someone online as equally interested, getting up to the minute information, from people who make clear that much of what they hear can not be confirmed immediately...something about the socialness of social media brought me closer to the event. That the guys in charge of this country could actually capture these guys within a few days of the bombing would be a miracle. The last I've read, one suspect has been killed, and the other ("the white hat suspect" as he will eternally be known) is still at large.

It was the first time in a long time I felt so compelled about a story to follow it for four hours, keeping me up at night. I'm not sure if that says more about me or the state of the world or just how significant the events currently unfolding in Boston are.

Mistakes are still made. We are all still trying to figure out how to be responsible with our words in these situations (normally I would go off on a "power of language" rant here, but I'll refrain), especially with the inherent power of a RT or "share." Even the most brilliant of minds out there can admit a mistake:


Of course, not that "old media" is immune to unconfirmed reporting.

I tried to keep my distance last night and wait for things to develop. Especially now that we learn that although the events were related, the original names of the suspects posted were untrue, another lesson is learned about what we report (note to everyone: a police scanner is not your bible).

While news stories continue come in, including updates on the two current suspects and a profile of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev who is still at large, here are the most worthwhile tweets from last night I saw.











And two .gifs to better express how everyone is feeling right about now:



And this article from the Onion, just for good measure.

Fuck.

Glad to hear all my friends and family out there are safe and sound. Can't imagine the feeling in the air right now in that city.

No comments:

Post a Comment